Keeping in touch is a sharp idea


It’s easier to stay in touch when you can actually touch someone. It takes more effort to keep in touch when time and state lines create canyons of excuses to keep silent.


Photo Credits: www.pdphoto.com

Copyright: Public Domain


David and I just got back from visiting my mother-in-law, Pat, in Phoenix. She talked and talked. (She has a lot to say.) I heard family stories I’d heard dozens of times and stories I’d never heard before. We ate awesome authentic Mexican food and talked. We drove through flower-filled desert stretches north of Phoenix and talked. We talked while we peered at ancient pottery and flint exhibits at Tuzigoot National Monument and at Montezuma Castle National Monument. We talked while we hiked by ancient Sinagua Indian ruins. We talked over Marie Callender’s sour cream raisin pie slices made especially for David. We talked at night while Bones helped catch the bad guys and House figured out the diagnosis and the T.V. droned in the background. I don’t remember when we ever talked so much. But it was good and it was important.

Keeping in touch builds friendships. Keeping in touch keeps us, especially writers, from being isolated and dull.

Keeping in touch when you can look people in the eye and hear their tone of voice is one thing. It is also important to keep in touch by words scribbled on paper or typed in an email or blog.

I recently created a profile on LinkedIn to stay in touch with former co-workers at CACI. When I received a “snail-mail” letter from a former co-worker who I had lost touch with, I goggled her name and found this networking site where I could email her and other former co-workers. So now we have begun to bridge several silent years with newsy emails.

Besides the personal benefits of building and maintaining friendships, keeping in touch can sometimes lead to professional benefits. When former co-workers are aware of a job-related opportunity, they often pass the information on to friends. This avenue of communication can be helpful in securing a job interview for yourself or a friend. This has happened for several people I know.

As a writer, I’m enjoying keeping in touch with others who work in the Christian publishing field by being a member of the TWV2 group at yahoo. Each week there are topics on which writers, editors and agents can post tips and insights. Some of the posts get me thinking and challenge me to keep learning and working on my writing and marketing skills. Now and then, I also post some of my thoughts in the hope that someone else can benefit from the mistakes or lessons I’ve learned through the years.

As a mother, mother-in-law, grandmother, daughter, daughter-in-law, sister, sister-in-law, aunt and great-aunt (whew!!), I am making it more of a priority to keep in touch with family members these years. (Don't worry, I love being a wife also. Wife isn't listed, because we see each other and talk all the time.)


Sometimes keeping in touch means mailing out a brief note or pressing speed-dial. Sometimes we can arrange a visit. Digital photos and messages sent by email make it easier than ever to keep in touch and maintain those important relationships that have shaped us and continue to shape us into the people we want to be.

Keeping in touch with friends, co-workers and family members is worth the effort. Those important interactions keep our personalities sharp, as well as our skills and opportunities, “as iron sharpens iron” (Prov. 27:17).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Still Waiting, by Ann Swindell

Worth. Being. Presence.

Nana Time: Helping out on a shopping day