Love and respect are important foundations for a lasting marriage

Love & Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs by Emerson Eggerichs (Thomas Nelson, 2004) remains on the top 10 Publishers Weekly Religion Bestseller's list for May.

Several people left glowing reviews of the book on Amazon.com.

After reading the description of the contents of this book, I would recommend it to those who are married or thinking of getting married someday.

David and I have been married since 1975. The solid foundations of our marriage include these two pillars: love and respect.

I'm fortunate that as a young Biola student in 1971, I had the opportunity to study women's topics under a woman who taught the importance of respecting a husband. I took these teachings to heart. This may sound like an easy concept to put into practice but it wasn't. I didn't come from a family environment that respected men and the cultural wisdom didn't teach liberated women to respect men, especially in a marriage relationship.

After practicing the biblical admonition to respect my husband (with various levels of success) for more than 30 years, I believe one of the most important gifts that a wife can give a husband is respect. It is easy to respect someone when they do something we like or admire. The challenge comes in areas where we find ourselves trying to change or criticize a husband.

Respect is a gift and an innate right, more than it is an earned badge of honor. Respect takes faith and much prayer.

A highly recommended book such as this, that teaches Christian women to respect their husbands and husbands to love their wives, is a book that I would hope my children in Generation NeXt read.

I plan to read it myself. Even after 33 years of marriage, I know there are still things to learn and practice so that I live in kind and honoring ways with my husband.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Still Waiting, by Ann Swindell

Worth. Being. Presence.

Nana Time: Helping out on a shopping day