Refuse to give up

But the bottom line is, most successful authors are those who simply refuse to give up.

-- Terry Burns, Hartline Literary Agency
Terry Burn's statement, as part of a recent online ACFW class, hit a nerve.

"Refuse to give up" is wise advice for many endeavors. This thought ran through my head today at odd moments -- while waiting for a traffic light to turn green, while watching a toddler daintily dip a McDonald's french fry into ketchup, or while thinking in a quiet house late at night.
Keep at it. Don't give up. Refuse to give up.
I hear this message on "The Biggest Loser." I enjoy watching this reality show, not so much because of the weight loss, but because of the daily, weekly and persistent process the contestants undergo. They set a goal, try, make choices, and achieve results, sometimes positive, sometimes not. They learn to master their bodies and appetites. They also must overcome self-doubt, pressure, negative thinking and the inevitable comparisons and rivalries that arise in any competition. A few players have been able to focus on their personal goals without letting worry over another's accomplishments undermine their efforts.

(I snack while I watch. Sometimes heart-healthy snacks.)

In real life, as on reality shows, it can be daunting to tackle something hard, like college, marriage, parenting, a new career, or a much-wanted goal. It can be discouraging to start small and know there is so much to do, so much beyond your control, and know that even if you expend your best efforts, you can't guarantee all the outcomes you desire.

I like it when a contestant, like Felipe, who was eliminated this week on "The Greatest Loser" verbalises and appreciates the goals he reached. Even though he didn't win the ultimate prize on the show, he learned much and attained many goals he valued.

So it can be with us when if we pursue a goal with persistence and faith.
If we don't make an attempt, don't do what it takes, and don't persist, how can we expect to obtain a desired goal. It doesn't happen, it can't happen.

By trying ... with faith, hard work and by refusing to give up ... Lord knows what could happen. I'd like to be smart enough and brave enough to make the effort to find out.

How about you? When you feel like giving up on an important goal or desire, what keeps you in the game? What messages help you press on?



"Pitch and Promote like a Pro," Terry Burns, Hartline Literary Agency. This ACFW online course is now available in ebook format.

Comments

  1. I watched a whole show of "The Biggest Loser" last week for the first time and was impressed with how hard they worked and never gave up. What keeps me going is faith. I know I can't make it on my own, but God can do anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more. Without God, I don't know where I would have ended up. I'm grateful for God's kind interventions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please comment. If you can't publish a comment, you may need to enable popups for your browser.

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Still Waiting, by Ann Swindell

Worth. Being. Presence.

Nana Time: Helping out on a shopping day