Raking good will

A forest view in Japan, vintage postcard.
Fall is a beautiful time of year in Maryland. Red, gold, burgundy, green, olive and brown leaves festoon limbs and litter lawns. This is one of my favorite times of year.

Raking leaves
I raked leaves this morning from our lawn to the curb, sweeping them across green grass. In years past, children would help by leaping into the piles I made, and crunching dry leaves underfoot. This morning a gentle breeze kept me company, rearranged a pile here or setting a leaf twirling there.

I didn't let new accumulations of litter discourage me. I wasn't expecting perfection, only progress.

Some of our leaves scampered across to a neighbor's yard. I watched my leaves mingle with other leaves I couldn't identity. My neighbor's tree was aflame with bright leaves that hadn't yet fallen. None of the leaves I raked were hers. Not yet.

Raking good will
It only seems right that a homeowner with a tree could collect at least some of the leaves that litter a neighbor's yard.

I don't pretend I scouted down every leaf the breeze ripped from our tree and threw onto our neighbor's lawn. But while I had the rake out, why not? Why not collect a few leaves from a busy neighbor's life before some blew on my lawn anyway? Why not share God's love in a small way?

So I worked in the sunshine this morning for a few minutes longer. And the breeze that had been rearranging my work for an hour began to blow leaves in the direction I raked.

It's a funny thing about trying to help someone else. Like autumn leaves, good will won't stay where you put it, it spreads. 

How can you spread goodwill today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Still Waiting, by Ann Swindell

Worth. Being. Presence.

Nana Time: Helping out on a shopping day