What are you doing to protect your marriage?

Together
Michael Hyatt, chairman of the board of Thomas Nelson, often shares useful tips and information in his blog. He also asks great questions. Today was no exception. Hyatt's thoughtful blog post "What Are You Doing to Protect your Marriage?" provoked a variety of responses.

This was my contribution to the discussion:

Here are ten things that help to keep our marriage healthy. (I'll speak mostly for me.)

1. I'm growing in my faith relationship in the goodness, provision and love of God. This is foundational for growing who I am and what I bring to the relationship.

2. I'm practicing faith, trust and love in my husband and our marriage.

3. I'm committed to my husband and our relationship. We've made a public commitment during the marriage ceremony 30+ years ago. I've restated that commitment to him privately at different times through the years.

4. We practice good communication skills.

5. We cultivate respect for each other in attitudes, choice of words, and big and little actions.

6. We practice asking for and giving each other forgiveness. No one is perfect and this is essential relationship maintenance.

7. We spend time together as we can. We find activities we enjoy together.

8. We give each other space to be unique. For example, he likes sci-fi and all things technical. I like different books and movies. We don't ridicule or restrict one another in the areas or things we don't share in common.

By Faith
9. I'm living on the growing edge. Sometimes the growing edge was a diet, finishing college or mastering a new stage of parenting. The growing edge keeps me just a bit different from yesterday and from getting stale or bitter.

10. I remember. I remember that even though I do all the good things I know to do my marriage is not completely protected. And I remember that God has promised to never leave me or forsake me. So, I remember to love, appreciate and enjoy my husband in my words and actions, as I have opportunity, one day at a time.

How about you? What are you doing to protect your marriage?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Still Waiting, by Ann Swindell

Worth. Being. Presence.

Nana Time: Helping out on a shopping day