Begin again

walking
Success, I've heard, is getting up one more time than you fall. I believe there is a lot of truth in that.

I find this strategy of beginning again helps me develop healthier eating habits and lifestyle. For most of a year now I have been going to Weight Watchers and eating better. Some weeks, as you may expect, are more successful than others. Over time, the better weeks add up. Or should I say, the losses achieved have added up. Now I'm more than 50 pounds lighter than a year ago. I feel like I've achieved something.

I am not alone. A fellow Weight Watcher shared her progress with the online community by posting a photograph: She held her 8-year old daughter and both gripped signs. One stated, "I lost 55 pounds," and the other, "I weigh 55 pounds." Neither achieved those numbers overnight. Progress takes time.

So, how are long-term goals achieved?

There are many strategies, tools and skills involved. In this blog post, I want to focus on just one: Beginning again.

An important winning strategy is beginning again. After a difficult day, week, or year -- and we all have them -- starting over is key. Beginning again (and again and again, if necessary) keeps us in the journey toward a goal.

I've been practicing persistence by using this strategy in kitchens and dining rooms. This strategy can also be applied in other areas, like writing. And it helps to use positive statements, such as

Don't quit. 
Try again. 
This is a new day.
You're not a quitter; you're a begin again-er.

How about you?

What do you say to yourself to encourage persistence? What strategies do you recommend for people to achieve their goals? Please share insights in the comments section.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Still Waiting, by Ann Swindell

Worth. Being. Presence.

Nana Time: Helping out on a shopping day